“When you are having a really crappy day, and life seems to be kicking your ass, try to force your self to laugh. If you can achieve a smile and a laugh, you can chase any demons away”
― L.F. Young
Life is like a wheel that never stops turning. Sometimes you’re at the top but there will also be times when you are the bottom. You can have your best day today and a bad day tomorrow and we can’t avoid it, much less, run away from it. It happens to everyone, even to the best of us, and no matter how positive your outlook in life is, bad days can get in the way of happiness and there’s only so much you can do.
There will be days when everything won’t go the way you planned; when everything you sought out to do doesn’t happen because of unforeseen events; when it seems the powers of the universe conspired to ruin what was an otherwise beautiful day. Oh yes, I’ve had a couple of those and I’m sure you had too. It’s easy to get pissed and get our day ruined when these days come but it doesn’t have to be that way so here are 7 useful ways on how we can turn a bad day into a good one:
- Breathe– If you feel like you’re going to explode because of disappointment, take a moment to breathe. Breathing helps ease the tension and release all the negative feelings you’re feeling inside. Close your eyes, take deep breaths in even intervals until all the heaviness inside is gone or somehow reduced.
- Move On– Every time something bad happens, we all have the tendency to dwell on the negative feeling. We can’t get over it, we keep thinking about and before we know it, our day has already been ruined. Do your best to take your mind off the bad things that happened. Remember, your mind dictates what kind of behavior you will have and if you can find a way to replace those negative feelings with positive ones, you still have a chance to save your day from becoming a total disaster.
- Get Some Alone Time– Getting time for yourself can help put everything back in perspective. Take a quick run, sit in a park and read a book, or hang out in the nearest Starbucks and grab a cup of coffee while listening to relaxing music. You can also use this time to analyze the situation. What made you feel bad? What triggered the disappointment? What can you do to correct the situation? You can figure all of these out by spending time alone.
- Talk to a Friend– talking to someone takes the big load off your chest especially with a good listener and no one can take on this role much better than a close friend. Be it in person or through phone, friends will always be the most reliable avenue to off-load all the negative feelings you are going through. They don’t even have to say a word for you to feel better. Having a friend by your side on the most frustrating times will definitely be a big help.
My best friend and I work for the same company but different departments. Every time one of us is having a bad day, we get lunch or coffee together. The conversation and laughter definitely soothes the tension.
- Laugh– this is the best time to prove that laughter is the best medicine and from experience, it does live up to the hype. Laughter brings a certain kind of pleasure that can take away all the gloominess and grumpiness a person has on a bad day. Laugh with friends and colleagues, watch a funny movie or YouTube video, or look at your baby photos. Whatever it is, laughter will help you forget whatever problem or disappointment you are going through, even for a short period of time.
- Be Thankful– If you are having a bad day, someone else is having one even worse. Gratitude is indeed the best way to combat grumpiness. Thinking that you are still way luckier than other people will help you appreciate your current state. Can a flat tire be worse than not owning a car at all? Can a bad day at the office be much worse than being unemployed? Think of the things you should be thankful for instead of dwelling on bad emotion.
- Do something that makes you really happy– we all have are go-to activity to counter our disappointments. Some would take it out on food by eating what they call their “comfort food” while others have their own preferred activities like catching a movie, playing video games, or turning to social media. You need to put a smile in your face on these times and doing something that brings you pleasure will definitely help as long as it does not come in the way of productivity.
I don’t know what it is about milk tea but this has been my comfort food for a while now. Every time I’m having a bad day or going through a difficulty, having a large milk tea with pearls is enough to get me back on track.
Bad days depend on what your mind tells you. Regardless of the circumstances you go through, you can only have a bad day if you decide to have one. However, if you decide to have a good day, even if you experience blunder after blunder after blunder, you can still have a good day ahead.
How do you deal with a bad day? What are the things you do to turn a bad day around?
I would love to hear from you so feel free to leave a comment or feedback below.
You can also share this content via twitter