“I have noticed that even those who assert that everything is predestined and that we can change nothing about it still look both ways before they cross the street”
― Stephen Hawking
Life is a series of choices and good or bad, you’ll always have to make one in almost everything everyday and that’s just the way it is. When you make a decision, you make a stand and you take a chance on this stand hoping that it will be a success.
We’re all given a chance everyday and it’s sad to see how some people refuse to take it because they’re afraid that it may not live up to their expectations or because a previous experience caused pain instead of happiness. Don’t deprive yourself of the wonderful things that lies ahead. Life has so much to offer if we only open our eyes and let go of all our inhibitions and doubts. You wouldn’t want to say “I should have…” someday wouldn’t you?
Here are 7 things you should take a chance on:
1. New ventures – If you want to live life to the fullest, you must pursue, and eventually do, whatever it is that makes you happy and this may involve new hobbies, jobs, or businesses. Don’t be afraid to welcome change into your life and regardless of whether this change was your decision or if it was forced upon you, submit yourself to it.
If something’s not working out or if you don’t feel happy doing it, try something new because that’s the way life should be lived. Life is a continuous pursuit of happiness and you will have to make changes along the way.
2. People – Let’s be honest. You won’t get to like everyone you will meet. There are just people who are not good at first impression but given the chance, you’ll be surprised of what they have to offer. Take a chance on people because despite the negative stuff you see on TV, there are still others out there who are after his or her neighbor’s best interest.
Back in 2008, I was forced to take a chance on people who were raw and inexperienced but I soon realized that I made the right decision because this team performed consistently at a high level.
3. Bending the rules – Don’t be confined in mediocrity by always following the crowd and sticking to the status quo. Dare to be bold, dare to be different because this courage will help unleash your full potential. It will help you uncover talents and creativity you never thought you had inside you.
Don’t be afraid to challenge convention if you must. As long as you’re not stepping on someone’s toes and you’re not committing a crime, you will be alright.
4. Making mistakes – Here’s the basic formula in life that we all should follow: Do something you love, make mistakes, learn from these mistakes, become successful. This is just the way it is and like it or not, you will make mistakes, perhaps more than you thought you would, before you become successful at something.
There’s no shame in committing mistakes. Even the highly successful ones and those who are considered the best in their fields made numerous mistakes before they became who they are right now. You too can be someone someday by committing mistakes. You’ll never know.
5. Change – No matter what you do, there will always be one thing that’s permanent in this world and that is change. The funny thing is, people will do everything to avoid it and stick to what they have been used to. You can’t run away from change. Hell, you can’t even hide from it so why go through all the trouble of resisting it?
Things change, seasons change, times change and you can’t do something about it. What may have worked for you five years ago may not be effective anymore in the next two years. Change is progress so welcome it with open arms and go with the flow. It’s a chance you need to take because in doing so, you really have nothing to lose don’t you?
6. Forgiveness – For some of us, moving on is a most difficult process we simply cannot overcome. We try to hold on to all the bitterness and resentment we feel for as long as we can but what we don’t realize is that holding on to such negative feelings actually affects us in a big way. You can’t expect to have peace of mind and happiness if you continue to dwell on these feelings.
Forgive yourself for past mistakes. Forgive others from the pain they may have caused you. Put the past behind and start over.
7. Personal development – The great thing about life is that it’s never too late for anything. It’s never too late to start over and most definitely, never too late to learn new things. Always strive to become better than who you are right now. Don’t stay complacent and know in your mind that knowledge is power.
Reading was not my thing a year ago. I can hardly remember the last book I was able to finish because I have this bad habit of starting something but when boredom sets in, I just forget about the whole thing but everything change when I started learning about personal development because I realized all the mistakes I’ve made in the past and how fascinating life is if we just take the time to know about it.
I used to think this stuff was a waste of time but the truth is, it is the best use of time. I now read an average of one to two books a week and I encourage you to take a chance on it too because there’s nothing to lose but you have everything to gain if you do.
When we make a decision, there will always be an equal chance of success and failure but we won’t really know until we make that decision wouldn’t we? Don’t be afraid to take chances on the things that has a big impact in your life because what makes life great is the endless possibilities and opportunities a single decision can make.
What are the things you’ve taken a chance on and eventually reaped the fruits of doing so?
I would love to hear your stories so feel free to leave a comment or feedback below anytime.
You can also share this article via twitter