“Promises are only as strong as the person who gives them …”
― Stephen Richards
It is in our competitive nature to be persistent in bouncing back from a loss or defeat. Just like the different basketball teams we watch on TV who carefully device a game plan to avoid making the same mistakes they did, we too, as individuals, do the best we can to not be on the losing end all the time.
I’ve never been more impressed in the will and desire of a human being to recover from adversity until I witnessed one of my best friends in high school fail a quiz in one of our subjects. Failing a quiz or an examination was a rare occurrence in my friend’s life that when he experienced one, it really bothered him a lot. He would tell me at every turn that he will bounce back and it was evident to me that this single failure was a really big deal to him. The rest of the group, including myself, who failed the same quiz have already moved on but my friend was still sulking in disappointment. I told him to don’t take it too hard and to just do better next time but he really can’t shake it off that easily. He was that intense!
At one point, I saw a page of his notebook and written on that page were the words I WILL BOUNCE BACK. That was the promise he made himself and sure enough, he delivered on that promise the very next quiz which he passed with flying colors and it really made a believer out of me.
We’ve all experienced failure and here are 12 promises we should all make and keep if we want to remain happy and fulfilled.
1. Promise to never give up on a goal that easily – You will fail multiple times and you know that’s bound to happen. The real test is if you have the fortitude to continue reaching for your goals despite the failures you suffered. You will no longer be contented on being someone who starts something but never sees it through.
2. Promise to be more positive – Failure can easily get the best of us. You get disappointed, discouraged, some even get depressed. Moving forward,you will be changing your mindset. You will no longer lose hope every time adversity beats you and you will no longer consider such difficulty as insurmountable.
3. Promise to never doubt yourself again – From now on you will no longer second-guess your capabilities. You will no longer doubt what you can and cannot do and believe in yourself instead. You will have full belief in yourself and be confident that there’s nothing you cannot do if you put your heart and mind to it.
4. Promise to never make excuses when faced with something difficult – You see to it that from now on, you will not make excuses for not doing something unfamiliar and otherwise difficult. You will do your best to learn new things and stand up to the challenge instead of backing away and coming up with lame justifications.
5. Promise to no longer deliver half-hearted efforts – You will no longer do something just for the sake of doing it. Whenever you’re given a task, you will exert maximum effort every time and produce top-quality work .
6. Promise to use your time in more productive means – you will no longer be spending your time in front of the television or playing video games. Instead, you will focus on being more productive by allotting time for personal development such as reading books and attending seminars or learning a new skill.
7. Promise to be more willing to take risks – you will no longer stunt your growth by always being on the safe side. Starting today, you will be more confident in taking risks and not succumb to your fear of failure. You will look at failure as a prerequisite to success instead of being its opposite.
8. Promise to stop trying to gain other people’s approval – you will no longer live your life according to other people’s expectations. Instead, you will start taking responsibility and owning your life by living it according to what you want and how you want to.
9. Promise to stop living in the past – you will no longer let your past keep you from becoming the person you were destined to be. You will live in the present, live each day to the fullest and let the past be something worth going back to but not staying in.
10. Promise to stop worrying about the future – From now on, you will have more faith in God and in yourself and trust that nothing bad will happen, nothing in life happens at random and that everything that happens to you, whether good or bad, will be for your own good.
11. Promise to not be too sensitive to what other people say about you – you will no longer let other’s opinion of you eat you up and ruin your day. Instead, you will take each opinion constructively and look at them as areas of opportunity. You will learn to ignore people who are out to ruin you and take the higher ground by not throwing dirt back.
12. Promise to take advantage of every opportunity that may come your way – You will no longer live passively and let life pass you by without noticing. Instead, you will take life head on by grabbing every opportunity it presents including those that comes from negative experiences.
It’s never too late to start a new beginning. Everyone deserves a second chance and making promises to yourself will be a good start. Promises are never meant to be broken contrary to what the popular cliche says. They are meant to be fulfilled and nothing can be more special if the promises you aim to meet are those that you made for yourself.
What promises have you made yourself?
I would love to hear from you so feel free to leave a comment or feedback below.
You can also share this content via twitter